Wednesday 13 January 2010

Follow up to yesterday

Lots of people have, after yesterday, sent kind words about the "daft old fool" (Nan's words not mine) and how much he will be missed. Rather than keep it all to myself I thought I would share a few here for prosterity and for those who don't have Facebook and will update as they come in...

Katherine Bate 13 January at 09:37
So sorry about your Grandad Lydia. I remember him from when I was a little girl, he was such a kind and funny man. Lots of love from the Bate's and the Wilks's x

Christine Wilks 13 January at 17:41
Dear Lydia I was so sorry to hear the news about your lovely Grandad. He and his lorry helped my Mum, Dad and me move house from Pirbright to Normandy in 1957. He seemed to have been in the village for ever and we will all miss him. I will let my Mum, Kitty, know when I see her tomorrow. I will try to get to the funeral and hope someone will let me know when it is. Give my love to Pam when you see her.
Love ... Christine Wilks (Fooks)

Jane Halton
Jane Halton
Really sorry to hear this news. Everyone in Normandy knew your "Grandad Lorry" and we had all been helped by him at some time! Whether it was taking scouts to camp or touring the village picking up secondhand furniture for our first house - he was always ready to help.

Richard and Jane
Yesterday at 23:43

Vicky Voller
Lydia, I was so so sad to hear about your Grandad. What a lovely chap, I have very fond memeories of him. I think he helped us move house once in a green lorry. Always smiling and so kind. Take care of yourself, all our love to you and all your family xxxx

Charlotte Wright
Love to all the family from the Wrights xxx

Lorraine Hassell
We were so sad to hear about your Grandad, I can still picture his cheeky smiling face. Our thoughts are with you all, please send our love to your family and especially your lovely Nan. x

Also when I wrote yesterdays post, I could have put thousands of memories of Grandad so I will add a few to the end here.

We would go swimming with Nan regularly but Grandad only came occasionally as he would often have to work. When he did come, it was always splashes and dunkings and joking about how Grandad had a strange natural bouyancy which meant his feet floated up all the time and he could swim underwater as he just bobbed straight to surface no matter how much he tried. If Grandad came, we were pretty much guarenteed to be allowed to stop off on the way home from the pool at Goodies, a now defunct fish and chips shop to pick up some tea.

No one dared tickle Grandad's feet through his ever present sandles after one of the McCullochs (Glen) got accidently kicked in the face tickling his fett while he napped.

Often, when we walked up the path to the back door, Kris and I would tip toe cos Grandad loved to lie in wait and leap through the hedge to make us jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment

margin: 0px; padding: 0px; 3: overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: auto; /* only use if stuck */ 4: